Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Day at the Caprilands

With spring here, I decided to make a trip to the Caprilands Herb Farm in Coventry, Connecticut (their main page is still in progress). It's only a few towns away, and the drive and destination is rather beautiful and relaxing.

I won't bore you with the tons of flower, plant, and tree photos I took, but below is one rather lovely butterfly I found, and two quick drawings and a watercolor study I did to loosen myself up.

A butterfly I have yet to identify:



A sketch of what I believe are irises, not yet blossomed:



Sketch of a tree with some rather interesting, twisty trunks. Also a pair of guinea hens that served as the resident tick control:



Lastly, some painting practice based on a reference photo I took of an unidentified flowering bush. This is watercolor on illustration board:




A lot of what I see here serves as inspiration for my paintings. Once more flowers start growing, I'm sure I will 'discover' some more Nectarbirds...

No comments:

Post a Comment