Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gyrfalcon Sketch

I apologize for not putting up more recent progress shots of the Griffon Vulture and Lanner Falcon, but they're already finished! Since I will be handing in my thesis tomorrow, I will thus be able to start posting the finished paintings here.

But for now, I'm working on my very last thesis painting, which is the Gyrfalcon as used in European falconry.



In medieval Europe, which bird you were allowed to fly was dependent on your social status. Emperors could fly eagles, whereas peasants were allowed tiny sparrowhawks. In the social ranking of falconry, the gyrfalcon was a noble bird reserved for kings. It is the largest of the falcons, and its plumage can range from gray barring to a striking, nearly pure white. Quite fitting as the bird of kings.

1 comment:

  1. that sketch looks really great! Good luck in turning in all the paintings and I can't wait to see what they all look like completed.

    ReplyDelete